Tuesday, May 15, 2007

My First Mother's Day

For my first (and easiest...) Mother's Day, my hubby Jon wrote me a poem. For those of you that don't know, Jon is a Marine/juggler/outdoorsman/musician/warrior/poet/STUDMUFFIN - a real Biblical David in the flesh. I mean in the spirit. Whatever. Anyway, here is the poem Jon wrote me for Mother's Day in iambic pentameter. I hope all you moms out there can take it to heart as well (and all you husbands can ask Jon's permission to plagerize, tee hee)

Love Sonnet #5
To the mother of my children, Mother's Day 2007
Copyright 2007 by Jon Gill

To the one who tells me daily that she loves me
To the one who always makes my knees go weak,
To the one who gets her life from Him above me
(It's Him we thank for giving what we seek)
For walking in our new life now beginning
And trusting Him (and me) with all your heart
And knowing that our quiver now is filling
And promising devotion as we start
For you're trusting and you're helping train our arrows
To be sharp and faithful, eager to be true
To raise them up to fly the straight and narrow
They'll be honored to have a mom like you.
Charm is lies, and beauty a fleeting haze -
But the mother of my children is to be praised!

Verses Jon used: Psalm 127:4-5 "Like arrows in the hand of a warrior are sons born in one's youth. Blessed is the man whose quiver is full of them...", Proverbs 31:30 "Charm is deceptive, and beauty is fleeting, but a woman who fears the Lord is to be praised."

Check out more of his poetry at http://www.jonathangill.net