Tuesday, October 7, 2008

An Article on Competitive Mothering

JP, Israel Hope, Ruby Ann, & Audra Charlebois

My friend Audra recently wrote an article for Focus on the Family! I am so proud of her - I feel like I know someone famous! The title of her article is "My Baby is Better than Your Baby" and it's about competitive mothering. I know I've done this myself and I've talked to other moms who have. On Wednesdays we go to story time at the library. However the library is in Edina and the moms and their babies are always dressed in designer clothes with salon-styled hair. I always feel like I need to have my makeup done and hair curled and Abi dressed in her cutest outfit with all the snot crusties wiped off her face before we can go. Not to mention the talking, walking, milestone-breaking babies that she encounters there. It's no wonder moms everywhere (especially first-time moms) feel insecure about their mothering. Abi is healthy, happy, and strong. I am not worried about her development at all. But it is too easy to slip into a "competition" with other moms and talk about "what my baby was doing at that age." Let's be encouraging and always reflecting the amazing love of our Father in heaven.

Here's the link to Audra's article. I hope you will be as blessed by it as I was! Awesome job, Audra, and I hope you are enjoying your first few weeks with your new little girl!

http://www2.focusonthefamily.com/focusmagazine/parentfamily/A000001229.cfm

No comments: